To kick off NEA’s Read Across America and National Reading Month
, we’re happy to celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday March 2 and the entire month of March. NEA (National Education Association Read Across America) is an annual reading awareness program created to celebrate and foster a love of reading. Studies show that early reading leads to success in school performance and positive mental health as well.
HERE ARE SOME OTHER GREAT BENEFITS TO READING:
CHECK OUT THESE GREAT WAYS TO CELEBRATE READING AROUND TOWN:
- Much of a child’s learning capacity is established under 3 years old
- Under 3 years old, a child’s brain grows up to 90% of their eventual adult size
- Reading aloud just 15-30 minutes each day to your child starting at birth enhances a child’s learning capacity, language skills, and later reading success
- Reading aloud to your child is the single most important thing you can do to help children prepare for learning and reading
- Studies show that parents who emphasize reading as entertainment and for enjoyment develop their children’s love for reading and positive attitude towards reading later in life
- Sadly, studies show that the amount of television a child watches in one day is equivalent to the amount they read for fun in one week
- Even if your children are already reading, reading aloud to your child or listening to audio books on road trips can benefit their auditory learning skills as well as be a great bonding opportunity for your family
- Big Kid Book Club- If you have a 3-5 year, old not yet enrolled in kindergarten, in just a few minutes you can enroll your kiddo online to receive a FREE BOOK in the mail every month.
- Bravo Peoria! Saturday, March 2, the City of Peoria and Friends of the Library will be hosting a party from 9am to 1pm with face painting, jugglers, a book sale, cowboys and much more.
- Check out this great Grade Reading List from Phoenix Public Library.
- Sit, Stay and Read! Check this out! Your kiddo can go to the library and read to a dog. Wow! Let’s hear a cheer for the Phoenix Public Library and all the great programs they have to offer!
- Your child can’t read yet? No problem. Click here for a wonderful list of activities to prepare your little one to read.
HAPPY READING MONTH!
Your doctors at Great Destinations Pediatrics